Social Media Icons DEQ Facebook DEQ Twitter DEQ Instagram DEQ LinkedIn

Virginia Pollution Abatement Permit Program

The treatment of sewage sludge, storage and land application of biosolids, industrial wastes (sludge and wastewater), municipal wastewater, and animal wastes (manure/litter from livestock and poultry) are regulated activities in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  A Virginia Pollution Abatement (VPA) permit may be issued by DEQ whenever an owner handles waste and wastewater in a manner that does not involve discharging to a sewage treatment work, or to state waters pursuant to a valid Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) permit.  In general, land application of biosolids, industrial sludge or spray irrigation of industrial and municipal wastewater is covered by a VPA individual permit.

Animal Feeding Operations (AFOs) are covered by a VPA individual or general permit.  A separate VPA general permit covers confined poultry feeding operations for poultry waste management. VPDES permits may be required for some Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs).

a group of images depicting land application on crop fields and cattle eating

Featured Topics

2/5/2020 - Certification Class and Exam for new land appliers -  The land applier certification training and exam will be held at the Blue Ridge Regional Office in Salem, VA on April 27 - 29.  Please see the Biosolids Land Appliers and Local Monitors webpage for details.


footer divider
footer divider
footer divider
Virginia Department of
Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
(804) 698-4000

Some resources on this website require Adobe Reader and Flash Player, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint or Excel. If you wish to receive this content in an accessible format pursuant to Section 508 of the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. ยง 794 (d)), please call 800-592-5482. In addition, this website includes hyperlinks to websites neither controlled nor sponsored by DEQ or the Commonwealth of Virginia. Links may open in a new window. If you wish to receive content from a website which is neither controlled nor sponsored by DEQ or the Commonwealth, please contact the host of that website directly.

Privacy Statement | Terms Of Use | WAI Compliance | Contact Us