RSS feed for Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use

List administrator(s): Jennifer Underwood, Jeff Steers, Ann Regn, Leslie Beckwith, Irina Calos

Update on Vanadium ACL

Since the Alternate Concentration Limit (ACL) update effective March 1, 2011, DEQ has received numerous requests to establish a Groundwater Protection Standard (GPS) for vanadium based on background. After reviewing many of these requests, it has become apparent that the quantitation limits (QL) achieved by the laboratories used by Solid Waste facilities in Virginia vary considerably and are, for the most part, higher than the ACL of 1.1 ug/L.
In order to maintain consistency, DEQ is establishing a common 'baseline' QL of 10 ug/L that we will expect labs to meet across the state. Consistent with existing policy, DEQ will then allow facilities to substitute the QL for the ACL when it comes to recognizing a GPS exceedance. This baseline QL will be effective on July 1, 2011 and will apply to all sampling events undertaken during the 3rd and 4th quarters of this year. If an owner/operator is notified by his/her laboratory that a 10 ug/L QL for vanadium cannot be achieved, DEQ should be notified as soon as possible to discuss options.

From: Jeff Steers

Sent: July 05, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Upcoming Solid Waste Permitting Workshop for Consultants

I am pleased to announce upcoming opportunities for collaboration and information exchange on technical solid waste permitting and groundwater issues. As part of my ongoing commitment to promote efficiency and streamlining of Virginia’s solid waste programs, it is necessary that the Department, our permitted facilities and consultants understand the role that quality plays in our regulatory processes and in decision-making. DEQ is currently investigating opportunities to streamline permitting such as to allow for greater reliance on a Professional Engineer’s credentials with less Departmental oversight and detailed review of certain aspects of permit reviews . Such a program may include the development of a pre-certified Consultant program that, based on education, professional engineering licensure and work experience may allow for the use of an expedited permitting process, with a post permit issuance auditing program.

You are invited to learn more about our future plans, and provide input, while also working with us to improve the quality of permit application submissions and subsequent DEQ review comments. If you or your firm is interested in participating in future streamlined permitting opportunities, you are highly encouraged to attend this session.

Date: June 22, 2011
Time: 10 am- 3 pm
Location: DEQ Central Office, 629 East Main St., Richmond VA 23219- 2nd Floor Training Rooms

A similar event is planned in August to discuss groundwater with groundwater professionals working in Virginia.

Please RSVP your attendance at the June 22nd meeting to Ms. Cynthia Houchens at by June 20, 2011.

This announcement is also being emailed to all of our known solid waste permitting consulting firms.