RSS feed for Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use

Latest updates in our waste regulatory programs (solid/ hazardous waste and groundwater), the petroleum program, Superfund and DEQ’s voluntary/Brownfield programs, including upcoming events.

List administrator(s): Jennifer Underwood, Leslie Beckwith, Jeff Steers

Upcoming Division of Land Protection Listening Stakeholder Meeting

**PLEASE NOTE ALL LINKS IN THIS NOTIFICATION MUST BE COPIED AND PASTED INTO YOUR BROWSER AND EMAIL ADDRESS LINE**

We continue to explore opportunities to improve our efficiencies and to the extent allowed by our operating statutes and regulations, use sensible risk based decision-making. Please take a moment to download my most recent presentation, Managing Risk Through Focused Priorities the Future State of Solid Waste in Virginia- http://www.deq.virginia.gov/export/sites/default/waste/documents/swana7e.ppt . We have many opportunities and I am committed to using available tools and out of the box thinking to achieve these objectives. Stakeholder input is critical to our success. Beginning this spring, my staff and I will be holding listening sessions across the Commonwealth. Our first session is currently scheduled for April 27th in our Piedmont Regional Office. The meeting is scheduled from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm . Space is limited to the first 50 registrants. If you are interested in attending, please register via email to Cynthia Houchens at Cynthia.houchens@deq.virginia.gov . If you haven't yet had the opportunity to do so,please download our Interest Form- http://www.deq.virginia.gov/export/sites/default/waste/documents/vswtif.doc to complete an interest form regarding future stakeholder involvement. This will help us gauge your interest in participating in future sessions as well as soliciting ideas on issues of importance. It is my hope that your ideas can be categorized and used as discussion topics at future meetings. By completing the form, you are not obligated to attend meetings nor are you signing on to any long term commitment. However, your thoughts will help me plan future meetings. Thank you for your interest in the Division of Land Protection & Revitalization.

Jeff Steers

From: Jeff Steers

Sent: February 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Upcoming Brownfield Conference Announcement

The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, Brownfields and Land Renewal Program is pleased to offer a regional Brownfields Conference in Harrisonburg on March 10, 2011. The event will take place at the DEQ Valley Regional Office at 4411 Early Road Harrisonburg, Virginia 22801 from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. There is no charge for this event and a box lunch will be included as part of the working lunch. (Mapquest location: http://mapq.st/hVMDo9 )

We are requesting that you register on line at to provide us with an accurate head count seating purposes and to ensure that sufficient box lunches are available along with coffee/refreshments.

• Harrisonburg - http://va-brownfields-harrisonburg2011.eventbrite.com

The registration page will provide additional information on the facility location, agenda, and driving directions. Also by completing the early registration on-line you will allow us to provide via e-mail the agenda once finalized, updates for any last minute changes and additional information.

These Brownfields outreach events are meant to provide information needed in these areas of the state in order to assist with Brownfields redevelopment and land revitalization, topics will include Brownfields Grants, Brownfields wide area planning/green infrastructure, PCBs, drycleaners, historic pesticide usage, lead & asbestos, and regulatory and agency updates on a state and national level

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Meade Anderson at 804-698-4179 or j.meade.anderson@deq.virginia.gov