RSS feed for Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use

Latest updates in our waste regulatory programs (solid/ hazardous waste and groundwater), the petroleum program, Superfund and DEQ’s voluntary/Brownfield programs, including upcoming events.

List administrator(s): Jennifer Underwood, Leslie Beckwith, Jeff Steers

Vapor Intrusion and Virginia's Voluntary Remediation Program

***Opportunity to Provide Input into Upcoming Guidance***

DEQ Voluntary Remediation Program (VRP) and Risk Assessment staff are planning to develop guidance for evaluating the off- site vapor intrusion (VI) pathway. We would like to solicit stakeholder input during the guidance development.

Vapor intrusion is the migration of volatile chemicals from the subsurface into overlying buildings. Off-site vapor intrusion is a concern when volatile chemicals are released from a VRP site such as a dry cleaner or manufacturing facility and the contamination moves onto an adjacent property.

We will hold a kick-off meeting for interested stakeholders to discuss the guidance development on August 23, 2011 at the DEQ Central Office from 1:00 to 4:00 in the 2nd floor conference room.

Some of the issues to be discussed at the meeting are:

• Data requirements for evaluating off-site VI risk
• Lines of evidence that should be considered in evaluating the off-site VI pathway
• Trigger levels for requiring off-site sampling
• Types of off-site sampling that may be required
• Responsibility for notifying downgradient property owners
• Time frame for initiating off-site investigations

Please notify me (patricia.mcmurray@deq.virginia.gov) if you plan to attend this meeting. While in person attendance is highly encouraged, DEQ recognizes that this may not be possible for everyone, so if you have an interest in participating via conference calling, please let me know.

Feel free to pass this message on to others who may be interested.

Thank-you.

Patricia McMurray
Risk Assessment Program Manager
Office of Remediation Programs
629 E. Main St. Richmond VA 23219
Phone:804-698-4186
Date: September 7, 2011
Time: 10 am- 4 pm
Location: DEQ Central Office, 629 East Main St., Richmond VA 23219- 2nd Floor Training Rooms

Please RSVP your attendance at the September 7th meeting to Ms. Cynthia Houchens at cynthia.houchens@deq.virginia.gov by August 26th.

Date: June 22, 2011
Time: 10 am- 3 pm
Location: DEQ Central Office, 629 East Main St., Richmond VA 23219- 2nd Floor Training Rooms

A similar event is planned in August to discuss groundwater with groundwater professionals working in Virginia.

Please RSVP your attendance at the June 22nd meeting to Ms. Cynthia Houchens at cynthia.houchens@deq.virginia.gov by June 20, 2011.

This announcement is also being emailed to all of our known solid waste permitting consulting firms.