RSS feed for Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use

Latest updates in our waste regulatory programs (solid/ hazardous waste and groundwater), the petroleum program, Superfund and DEQ’s voluntary/Brownfield programs, including upcoming events.

List administrator(s): Jennifer Underwood, Leslie Beckwith, Jeff Steers

September 7th Solid Waste Groundwater Workshop Registration is Now Closed

Due to overwhelming interest, we are no longer able to accomodate any new attendees for our September 7, 2011 Solid Waste Groundwater workshop. Registration for the event is now closed.

From: Jeff Steers

Sent: August 22, 2011 at 11:40 am

Division Director's Latest Web Page Message

The following is posted on the Division of Land Protection and Revitalization's home page at: http://www.deq.virginia.gov/waste/homepage.html

Message from the Division Director

During the last several months my staff and I have focused on soliciting stakeholder input in a variety of issues and topics impacting waste management and land renewal efforts in the Commonwealth. This is the beginning of an ongoing program to improve efficiencies within our organization, while focusing on risk based outcomes to achieve environmental protection.

On April 27, 2011 DEQ hosted an open listening session for consultants, local officials, citizens, permitted facility owner/operators and others. Over 30 people attended the session and offered a variety of thoughts related to our solid waste permitting and groundwater programs, the voluntary remediation program (VRP) and consistency in monitoring and compliance programs across DEQ's regioanl offices. Such stakeholder input will help us to set our improvement priorities. We intend to hold a similar session in the western region of the state this fall.

DEQ also recently held a "consultant workshop on solid waste permitting" and a stakeholder meeting on the future of florescent tube management regulations. On September 7, 2011 we will be hosting a workshop on solid waste groundwater. In the upcoming months we will be having stakeholder sessions to discuss draft guidance related to the reuse of contaminated media and debris and the applicablity of off site vapor intrusion (VI) assessments at sites enrolled in DEQ's VRP.

Please continue to check back on Land Protection and Revitalization homepage. New information is regularly posted to the Whats New section below.

Regards,

Jeff Steers,

Date: September 7, 2011
Time: 10 am- 4 pm
Location: DEQ Central Office, 629 East Main St., Richmond VA 23219- 2nd Floor Training Rooms

Please RSVP your attendance at the September 7th meeting to Ms. Cynthia Houchens at cynthia.houchens@deq.virginia.gov by August 26th.