RSS feed for Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use

List administrator(s): Jennifer Underwood, Jeff Steers, Ann Regn, Leslie Beckwith, Irina Calos

Reuse of Lightly Contaminated Media (Soil and Debris)

The Virginia DEQ’s Division of Land Protection and Revitalization is proposing to issue a state wide variance to the definition of solid waste under 9VAC20-81-710 that allows for the beneficial use of lightly contaminated soil, debris and sediment (for upland management only). The Department encourages the reuse and development of contaminated properties while recognizing the need to find cost effective solutions to manage excavated soil, debris and sediment. Using a self implementing approach that incorporates soil/debris characterization, risk based decision criteria, property owner notifications and where appropriate, institutional controls, generators will have an option to reuse excavated materials both on-site and off-site. Generators meeting the requirements of the variance would not need to manage these materials as a solid waste.
The Department is planning on holding two public meetings to provide further details regarding the proposed variance and to take comments from interested parties. In accordance with the Virginia Solid Waste Management Regulations, we have public noticed the draft action and are accepting comments through the close of business on Monday, June 18th. The public notice can be viewed at:
Meetings are scheduled to occur at the Piedmont Regional Office (Glen Allen VA) on May 31, 2012 and the Blue Ridge Regional Office (Roanoke VA) on June 7, 2012. Both meetings will begin at 10:00 a.m. A copy of the draft action can be found at . For further information, please contact Mr. Justin Williams (804)698-4185.

From: Jeff Steers

Sent: May 18, 2012 at 8:04 am

June 12, 2012
DEQ, 629 East Main Street, Richmond, Virginia

The Virginia Voluntary Remediation Program is planning a technical outreach session to be held at DEQ in Richmond, Virginia on June 12, 2012. The objectives of the outreach include:

• Provide technical information intended for all professions involved in VRP sites
• Network and getting better acquainted
• Introduce the VRP Checklist
o Site Characterization
o Vapor Intrusion
o Risk Assessment
• Discuss ways we can help each other get sites through the VRP faster
• Discuss ways to improve communication and help reduce the number and occurrences of comments

There will be two ways to participate; in person or via webinar. The agenda and logistics, including how to register, are being finalized and forthcoming. Mark your calendars for June 12, 2012 and we look forward to having you participate.