RSS feed for Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use Land Protection Program Updates- News You Can Use

Latest updates in our waste regulatory programs (solid/ hazardous waste and groundwater), the petroleum program, Superfund and DEQ’s voluntary/Brownfield programs, including upcoming events.

List administrator(s): Jennifer Underwood, Leslie Beckwith, Jeff Steers

Universal Waste Lamp Crushing Regulations Become Effective on January 1, 2017

The amended regulations addressing the requirements for the crushing of universal waste (UW) lamps under the Virginia Hazardous Waste Management Regulations become effective on January 1, 2017.

All handlers of UW lamps that have a crushing operation at their facility, regardless of size, must notify the applicable DEQ regional office within 30 days of commencing the crushing operation. New facilities must comply with the requirements in the UW lamp crushing regulations once crushing operation is to begin. Facilities with existing crushing operations must notify the applicable DEQ regional office by January 31, 2017 and demonstrate compliance with the new requirements by April 1, 2017.

The DEQ has developed guidance to assist UW handlers who either wish to continue crushing UW lamps or plan to begin crushing UW lamps after the effective date of the regulations. The guidance as well as a FAQ document may be found at the following links:
http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Portals/0/DEQ/Land/Guidance/VA_DEQ_Universal_Waste_Lamp_Crushing_Guidance.pdf?ver=2016-12-06-084820-970
http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Portals/0/DEQ/Land/Guidance/VA_DEQ_UW_Lamp_Crushing_Frequently_Asked_Questions.pdf?ver=2016-12-06-084743-373

If you have any questions or would like more information, please feel free to contact Ashby Scott, Hazardous Waste Permit Writer, Office of Financial Responsibility and Waste Programs at: Ashby.Scott@deq.virginia.gov.

From: Leslie Beckwith

Sent: February 01, 2017 at 10:50 am

Draft guidance on crushing of universal waste lamps

The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) has been in the process of developing amended regulations to address the crushing of universal waste (UW) lamps under the Virginia Hazardous Waste Management Regulations. The proposed regulations were published in the Virginia Register on November 2, 2015. The public comment period closed on January 4, 2016. Based on the comments received, no changes to the regulations were made.

At this point the final regulations are tentatively scheduled to be published in the Virginia Register on October 31, 2016. In support of pending implementation of the new regulations, the DEQ has developed a draft guidance to assist UW handlers who either wish to continue crushing UW lamps or plan to begin crushing UW lamps after the effective date of the regulations. This draft guidance as well as a FAQ may be found at the following links: http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Portals/0/DEQ/Land/Guidance/Draft_UW_Lamp_Crushing_Guidance_10.12.2016.pdf and http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Portals/0/DEQ/Land/Guidance/Draft_UW_Lamp_Crushing_Frequently_Asked_Questions_%2010.11.2016.pdf
We would appreciate receiving any comments you may have on these documents by Monday, November 14, 2016. You may send your comments to Ashby Scott at Ashby.Scott@deq.virginia.gov.