RSS feed for DEQ news releases DEQ news releases

Official DEQ news releases.

List administrator(s): Bill Hayden, Jennifer Underwood, Irina Calos, John Tragesser

Virginia issues solid waste report for 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 23, 2016

Contact: Bill Hayden
(804) 698-4447
william.hayden@deq.virginia.gov

RICHMOND, VA. -- The Department of Environmental Quality released its annual report today on solid waste management in Virginia. The report includes the amounts of solid waste managed in Virginia in 2015, and the amounts and sources of solid waste generated outside the Commonwealth.

The total amount of solid waste received at Virginia facilities during 2015 increased by about 500,000 tons from 2014. Solid waste includes municipal solid waste, construction and demolition debris, vegetative and yard waste, and other types of waste. The total amount of solid waste from outside Virginia rose about 100,000 tons to 5.4 million tons. The total amount from within Virginia remained at about 15 million tons.

Other findings of the report include:

-- Of the 20.7 million tons of solid waste reported in 2015, about 12.7 million tons were municipal solid waste, which is trash from households and businesses.

-- The total amount of municipal solid waste generated outside Virginia was about 3.6 million tons, roughly the same as in 2014. Maryland, New York, Washington, D.C., North Carolina and New Jersey accounted for 98.3 percent of all waste received from out-of-state sources.

-- Of the total solid waste managed in Virginia in 2015, about 12.7 million tons were disposed of in landfills, and about 2 million tons were incinerated. The rest was managed by other means, including mulching and recycling.

The full solid waste report is available on the DEQ website at www.deq.virginia.gov.